This is a lovely fresh summer recipe, great for a healthy lunch or side dish, and perfect for bringing to BBQ’s or picnics! It can be made ahead and will keep for a few days in the fridge. You can leave out anything you don’t like, or add in chopped walnuts, carrots, red onion etc. But we recommend not leaving out the key ingredient, the dried cranberries! They elevate the salad and really add a burst of sweet tartness that helps create a perfect flavour combination!
Jenny’s Summer Quinoa Salad (vegan!)
1 cup uncooked quinoa (regular, red or mixture)
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp olive oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
3-4 cups baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
drizzle of olive oil
juice of 1 fresh lemon
1. Rinse and drain quinoa in cold water (skip if pre-rinsed)
2. In a small pot, gently heat olive oil, add drained quinoa, cumin and stir a few minutes to coat and toast a little.
3. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then lower to simmer, and cook covered for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
4. Let rest 5 minutes, then put into a large serving bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. (this step can be done several hours or a day ahead of time)
5. Add all remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in a covered container until ready to enjoy!